Thursday, May 7, 2009

More Curacao

Curacao is a beautiful Island about 30 something miles off the coast of Venezuela. It is in the southern Caribbean. If you ever get down there you can get the Kapitol Reef equipment from Discover Diving. Their website is www.discoverdiving.nl Hans is the owner of the shop. He is on the south western end of the island. While there I was able to snorkel off the coast of Westpunt. I saw purple reef, trumpet fish, porcupine fish, a flounder or two, hundreds of Sergeant Major fish, alot of parrotfish, alot of yellowtail snapper just to name a few. I was also able to get in the water and enjoy my Kapitol Reef snorkel and equipment at Piscadera bay on the south end of the island. I was staying at the Marriott which is at Piscadera Bay It is amazing to me to see the beautiful world that exists under the surface of the ocean. ... snorkel to see the rest of the world!!! Also Check out these two videos. One is Westpunt (where the water gets dark it drops off fast..... deeeeeep water). The other video is a cave that I went down into at the Shete Boca National park on the northwest end of the island. Enjoy.. Remember snorkel to see the rest of the world.


Oh, I almost forgot to share this experiance. I boarded a plane to fly home from Curacao. We were two hours late boarding. We taxied out and took off. I was watching the island as we flew out over the Caribbean sea. The island disappeared and there was nothing but water under us. 15 min. or so into the flight I heard a bang sound and thought "isnt it late for the landing gear to go up?" then the flight attendant came on and said "sit down with your seat belt tight, we have a problem and will be returning to Curacao." A few minutes later the pilot came on and said "we have a problem with engine #2 or the engine on the right side of the plane. We will be returning to Curacao." He explained that they could not use engine # 2. So we returned to Curacao and stayed another 24 hours. I did not like being several miles out over the ocean in a 737 running on one engine.. It turned out great though. I was able to meet some real nice people that I did not take the time to introduce my self to before the return flight and I am sure that I would not have met them any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi uncle jerry i did not know that you had a blog will now i will have to put u on my list. Thanks for the comment. see ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blackbeard's Cave" ha ha ha ha ha ha! I am STILL laughing about that. But it's really beautiful. You lucky duck - what a great job. Touring the world's best beaches with the world's best snorkel.

    ReplyDelete