Monday, May 11, 2009

Bonaire

BONAIRE what a fabulous place to explore the underwater world. Bonaire is one of the ABC islands of the southern Caribbean. A= Aruba, B= Bonaire, C=Curacao. All three are part of the Netherlands Antilles. Bonaire is the least commercialized and has the best preserved reefs. It is a divers and snorkelers paradise. There are 63 marked dive and snorkel sights along the coast of this small island. I asked Sergio the dive master and owner of the dive shop at Divi Flamingo Bonaire which spots I should see. He said that make sure to hit, Jeff Davis Memorial, Weber's Joy, Thousand Steps, Bon Bini na Cas, Ol' Blue, Kappel, Karpata. I also snorkeled at Salt Pier, Aquarius and Larry's Lair. The whitest sand that I have ever seen cover the beaches on Bonaire which makes the water almost crystal clear and the water colors breath taking. Then get into the water with your mask on and instantly you see fish. Fish of every color and shape. Swim to a few rocks and reefs and hundreds of fish appear. I swim around them I swim through them and they seem unfazed by my presence.
I was at Rappel and I looked toward the deep and there 15 feet from me was a Barracuda swimming along side of me. I was fascinated by this beautiful fish which seemed 18-24 Inches in length. I could tell that he/she was watching me. I noticed that she had some teeth in the front of her mouth. After 2-3 minutes I turned around and swam back towards the shore. I was not sure if I should have been afraid, I was not. Friends told me later that I should avoid barracuda. It was a neat experience. Like every snorkel experience. I was able to log 5-6 hours of snorkel time while on Bonaire. All of it with the Kapitol Reef snorkel. It is such a comfortable snorkel that you can stay out in the water for extended time periods which means that you can see so much more of the underwater world.
On Bonaire you can buy Kapitol Reef equipment at Dive Friends Bonaire and at Divi Flamingo. Two great locations. Both companies can set you up with dive equipment and show you the best places to dive and snorkel. Sergio at Divi Flamingo and Pascal at Dive Friends Bonaire.
Check out the clips from Bonaire and REMEMBER Snorkel to see the rest of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment